- 29 September 2022
- By GyanOk
Daily Current Affairs Notes for 29 September 2022
Uttarakhand awarded for adventure tourism & all round development of tourism
On the occasion of World Tourism Day, Uttarakhand received the first prize in two categories, for the best adventure tourism destination and all-around development of tourism from the Ministry of Tourism. The State’s Tourism and Culture minister Satpal Maharaj received the awards from Vice President Jagdeep Dhankar during the presentation of the National Tourism Awards 2018-19 in New Delhi.
GoI appoints Lt Gen Anil Chauhan as the new Chief of Defence Staff
The government of India has announced the appointment of Lt General Anil Chauhan (Retired) as the next Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), who will also function as Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Military Affairs. The NDA alumnus became the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command in September 2019 and held the charge until his retirement from the service on May 31, 2021. He has held several appointments and has extensive experience in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir and the Northeast.
In a career spanning over nearly 40 years:
- Born on May 18, 1961, Lt Gen Anil Chauhan was commissioned into the 11 Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army in 1981. An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun. he commanded an Infantry Division in the Baramula sector in the Northern Command in the rank of Major General.
- Lt Gen Anil Chauhan had held several command, staff and instrumental appointments and had extensive experience in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu & Kashmir and the northeast.
- He later commanded a corps in the northeast and subsequently became the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command from September 2019 and held the charge until his retirement from the service on May 31, 2021.
- The officer also tenanted important staff appointments, including the charge of the Director General of Military Operations. The officer had also served as a United Nations mission to Angola.
Julius Baer Cup 2022: Magnus Carlsen beats Indian Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi
Teenaged Indian Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi went down against world no.1 Magnus Carlsen in the final of the Julius Baer Generation Cup online rapid chess tournament, losing the second match 0-2. Having won the first match, the Norwegian had the advantage and he won the first two games of the second match to close out the finale early.
- The final was a two-match affair with each match consisting of four games. If the players had won a match each, a blitz tie-break would have been required to decide the winner. Requiring to win the second match to have a chance to push the final to a tie-break, the 19-year-old Indian player found himself in trouble against the world no.1 in red-hot form. Erigaisi resigned on move 48 and slipped into further trouble.
- Carlsen’s performance makes him the first player to hit the historic 2900 Tour Rating mark.
- Erigaisi, with a fine performance in the Julius Baer Cup, part of the Meltwater Chess Tour, has qualified for the eight-player tour final in San Francisco later this year.
HAL Cryogenic Engines Manufacturing Facility inaugurated by President Murmu
HAL Cryogenic Engines Manufacturing Facility inaugurated: Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) integrated cryogenic engine manufacturing facility was inaugurated in Bengaluru by Indian President Smt. Droupadi Murmu. On this occasion, President Droupadi Murmu virtually lay the cornerstone for the South Zone Zonal Institute of Virology.
Italy PM election: Giorgia Meloni elected as First woman PM of Italy
Giorgia Meloni looks set to become Italy’s first woman prime minister at the head of its most right-wing government since World War Two after leading a conservative alliance to triumph at the election. Meloni will take over from Prime Minister Mario Draghi, the former head of the European Central Bank, who pushed Rome to the centre of EU policy-making during his 18-month stint in office, forging close ties with Paris and Berlin. The Italian far-right leader Meloni party came top in general elections. Leading the next government, she will work for the betterment of all Italians.
Who is Giorgia Meloni?
- Giorgia Meloni is an Italian politician and journalist who was born on 15 January 1977. Her father came from Sardinia and her mother belonged to Sicily. In 1992 at the age of 15, Meloni joined the Youth Front, the youth wing of the neo-fascist Italian Social Movement (MSI). Next to this in 1996, she earned a diploma from the Amerigo Vespucci Institute. She has also served as a youth minister in Berlusconi’s 2008-2011 government before founding the Brothers of Italy in 2012. Three prominent political leaders Meloni, La Russa, and Crosetto founded a new political movement Brothers of Italy in 2012.