- 17 February 2023
- By GyanOk
Daily Current Affairs Notes for 17 February 2023
Global Tourism Resilience Day observed on 17th February
The United Nations General Assembly has adopted a resolution from Jamaica to declare the first-ever Global Tourism Resilience Day on 17th February 2023.
Global Tourism Resilience Day
A resolution proposed by Jamaica to declare the inaugural Global Tourism Resilience Day on February 17, 2023, has been adopted by the United Nations General Assembly. The aim of this initiative is to ensure the sustainability of tourism in the future. The proposal garnered support from over 90 countries, and the UNGA invites individuals and organizations to observe this day every year. The day serves as an opportunity to raise awareness of sustainable tourism in accordance with local, regional, and national priorities, through education, activities, and events. The first-ever Global Tourism Resilience Conference, starting on February 15, will be held in Jamaica and will culminate on Global Tourism Resilience Day.
What is resilience in tourism?
This presents an avenue for enhancing sustainability following an ecological or environmental crisis and provides a viable alternative to sustainable development as a potential solution to the strain caused by tourism.
Tourism is a crucial source of revenue, foreign currency, tax income, and employment for numerous developing countries, including the least developed countries, small island developing states, African nations, and middle-income countries. Since tourism serves as a bridge between people and nature, promoting sustainable tourism can effectively encourage environmental accountability and conservation.
By promoting economic growth, reducing poverty, and creating fulfilling employment opportunities, sustainable tourism - which includes ecotourism - is an all-encompassing undertaking that can positively impact all three dimensions of sustainable development and help attain the Sustainable Development Goals.
In addition, sustainable tourism has the potential to expedite the shift towards more sustainable consumption and production models, while also advocating for the sustainable utilization of marine resources and oceanic ecosystems. Moreover, it can enhance local customs, raise living standards, and encourage economic autonomy for marginalized groups such as women, youth, indigenous communities, and local residents. Additionally, sustainable tourism can help with rural development, promoting a better quality of life and more favorable living circumstances for individuals residing in rural areas, including small-scale and family farmers.
Global Tourism Resilience Day: History of the day
The General Assembly, in resolution A/RES/77/269, has declared February 17th as Global Tourism Resilience Day, which seeks to underscore the importance of cultivating durable tourism development in response to crises, recognizing the tourism sector's susceptibility to emergencies. It is also a call for Member States to take action by devising national rehabilitation strategies in the aftermath of disruptions, with a focus on public-private collaboration and broadening the scope of activities and offerings.
Neal Mohan, the new Indian American CEO of YouTube
Neal Mohan will become the next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Alphabet-owned YouTube following Susan Wojcicki's announcement that she will be stepping down from her role.
Who is Neal Mohan?
Neal Mohan, an Indian-American, has been named as the next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of YouTube, which is owned by Alphabet. This decision comes in light of Susan Wojcicki's announcement that she will be vacating her position as the head of the video-sharing platform. As a result, Mohan will join the exclusive group of global tech leaders of Indian descent, including Sundar Pichai from Google's parent company Alphabet, Satya Nadella from Microsoft, Arvind Krishna from IBM, and Shantanu Narayen from Adobe.
Career of Neal Mohan
- Neal Mohan's career commenced at Accenture in 1996, followed by his tenure at NetGravity, a startup that was later acquired by online advertising firm DoubleClick. He holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University and an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he was honored as an Arjay Miller Scholar for his high grade point averages. After DoubleClick was purchased by Google in 2007, Mohan was instrumental in enhancing the tech giant's advertising products, which included AdWords, AdSense, and DoubleClick. Mohan, who is a Stanford alumnus and 49 years old, has been serving as YouTube's Chief Product Officer since 2015. Additionally, he previously worked at Microsoft as a manager of corporate strategy. Mohan is a board member for American personal styling service Stitch Fix and biotechnology company 23andMe. Moreover, Mohan leads YouTube's trust and safety team, which is responsible for devising and implementing platform policies and community guidelines governing the content available on the platform.
Why Susan Wojcicki’ resigns?
Wojcicki announced that she is stepping down from her position at YouTube due to personal reasons. In her blog post, she mentioned that she is embarking on a new phase of her life, centered on her family, well-being, and personal interests. As a mother of five children, she has always been candid about her challenges balancing her professional duties with motherhood.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurated National Aadi Mahotsav
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Aadi Mahotsav on 16th February 2023 at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi.
On February 16th, 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Aadi Mahotsav at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi. The announcement was made by Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda, at a press conference in New Delhi. The event was attended by Minister of State for Tribal Affairs, Renuka Saruta. Arjun Munda also stated that the Prime Minister would be briefed on the various products showcased at the event's stalls and would interact with artisans and craftsmen from tribal communities.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurated National Aadi Mahotsav – Key Points
- The Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda, announced that Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Aadi Mahotsav at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi on February 16, 2023. The Minister of State for Tribal Affairs, Renuka Saruta, was also present at the event. The Prime Minister reviewed the various products on display and interacted with artisans and craftsmen from tribal communities.
- The Tribal Affairs Ministry is dedicated to achieving the Prime Minister's vision of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat by encouraging full participation and involvement of tribal communities. The Minister emphasized the importance of organic production by tribal communities in combatting global warming.
- The festival aims to draw artisans from remote areas producing lesser-known and unique items to showcase at the Aadi Mahotsav. This event is a major platform to promote tribal products in national and international markets. To ensure quality and contemporary designs in tribal products while maintaining their originality, the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation Limited (TRIFED) is engaging with top designers.
- The theme of this edition of the festival is “A Celebration of the Spirit of Tribal Crafts, Culture, Cuisine, and Commerce,” which represents the basic ethos of tribal life. The event features over 200 stalls showcasing tribal handicrafts, handloom, paintings, jewelry, cane & bamboo, pottery, food & natural products, gifts & assortment, and tribal cuisine.
- More than 1000 tribal artisans and artists from 28 States/UTs are participating in the festival, including tribal cooks from 19 States/UTs, for which 20 food stalls have been set up. To commemorate the International Year of Millets, tribal artisans from across the country are invited to display and sell millet products and cuisines.