- 15 December 2022
- By GyanOk
Daily Current Affairs Notes for 15 December 2022
India & Finland Sign Joint Declaration of Intent on Migration and Mobility
India and Finland have signed a joint declaration of Intent on migration and mobility to arrive at a mutually beneficial arrangement on migration and mobility between the two countries.
The declaration was signed by Union Minister of State for External Affairs V. Muraleedharan and Minster of Employment of Finland Ms. Tuula Haatainen
“The declaration underlines the resolve of both countries to work jointly towards developing a common framework of arrangement and cooperation to facilitate mobility of students, academics, researchers, business people and professionals and to combat irregular migration,” the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
- The Joint Declaration was signed by Union Minister of State (MoS) V. Muraleedharan, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India (GoI), and Tuula Haatainen, Finland’s Minister of Employment.
- The External Affairs Ministry said, the declaration underlines the resolve of both countries to work jointly towards developing a common framework of arrangement and cooperation.
- This will facilitate mobility of students, academics, researchers, business people, and professionals and to combat irregular migration.
- India and Finland share warm and friendly relations underpinned by common values of democracy, freedom, rule of law, and respect for human rights.
- India and Finland have warm and friendly relations based on common values such as democracy, freedom, the rule of law, and respect for human rights.
- The declaration emphasizes the determination of both countries to collaborate in building a common framework of arrangements and cooperation.
- This will promote the mobility of students, academics, researchers, business people, and professionals while also assisting in the fight against irregular migration.
- On May 4, 2022, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi met Finland PM Sanna Marin on the margins of the 2nd India-Nordic Summit in Copenhagen (Denmark).
Assam's 'Gamosa' Gets Geographical Indication Tag From Centre
'Gamocha' (Gamosa), a symbol of Assam's culture and identity, has received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the Central Government. Assam applied for the GI tag for Gamocha five years ago, after which the state got the tag.
Gamocha is considered the pride of Assam.
"Gamocha" is a hand-woven cotton rectangular cloth with a red border and distinct designs. It is traditionally given to elders and guests as a mark of respect from the Assamese people. Gamocha is an integral part of all socio-religious celebrations in the state and is considered the identity and pride of Assam.
Gamocha literally means towel and is widely used in Assam. It is also made in expensive fabrics like traditional Assamese pat silk and in different colors for special occasions.
- According to the Geographical Indication of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999, the GI tag has been registered in favour of the Directorate of Handloom and Textiles, Government of Assam.
- The certificate for “Gamocha” has been granted as of October 16, 2017 in accordance with the application by the directorate.
- The procedure began in 2017 when the Institute of Handicraft Development of the Golaghat district of Assam submitted an application for a GI tag.