- 02 December 2022
- By GyanOk
Daily Current Affairs Notes for 02 December 2022
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery: 2 December
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022:
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery happens annually on December 2. On this day in 1949, the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted the Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and the Exploitation of the Prostitution of Others. This day is dedicated to ending modern forms of slavery, such as sexual exploitation, human trafficking, the most heinous kinds of child labor, forced marriage, and the forced recruitment of children for use in armed conflict.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2022: Significance
In the last five years, there has been an increase in instances of forced labour and forced marriages, as noted by the United Nations (UN). The UN mentions that the number of modern slaves increased to 50 million by the end of 2021. The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery is a significant day as it encourages us all to bring an end to such atrocities.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery: History
Several parts of the world practiced slavery and resorted to unjust and inhumane practices in the past. The most recent example of slavery in modern history is trans-Atlantic slavery. For the unversed, in the 17th and 18th century, people from various countries of Africa were transported to the United States and forced to work in plantations owned by White imperialists.
The resolution 317(IV) of December 2, 1949 aims to abolish modern forms of slavery such as trafficking in persons, sexual exploitation, child labour, forced marriage, and the forced recruitment of children for use in armed conflict.
Former President of China Jiang Zemin Passes Away
Former President of China Jiang Zemin, who supported economic reforms leading years of growth in the country, has died at the age of 96. Jiang Zemin crushed the pro-democracy protests in Tiananmen Square. He died from leukemia and multiple organ failure in Shanghai at 12:13 pm today. Jiang Zemin was born in 1926 in Yangzhou, Jiangsu province, China.
About Jiang Zemin:
- After the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, Jiang Zemin governed the Communist Party’s divisions while leading China through history-making changes.
- Market-oriented reforms were revived, Hong Kong gained independence from the British in 1997, and Beijing joined the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 2001. He helped pulling in foreign investment after China joined the WTO. Jiang Zemin served as the head of the Communist Party from 1989 to 2002.
- He served as the President of China from 1993 to 2003. He has also served as the chairman of the Central Military Commission from 1989 to 2004.
- In 2002 Jiang Zemin resigned as general secretary of the CCP and the following year stepped down as president after serving the maximum two 5-year terms; Hu Jintao succeeded him in both positions. Jiang Zemin remained in charge of the Central Military Commission until stepping down in favour of Hu Jintao in 2004.
Four US soldiers promoted high up on Nanda Devi during military exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas’
In a first, four US Army officers part of the 11th Airborne Division were promoted high up on Nanda Devi, India's second-highest Himalayan peak, during the 18th edition of India-US joint military exercise 'Yudh Abhyas' in Uttarakhand.
"In full view of Nanda Devi, the second-tallest mountain in the tallest mountain range in the world, Capt. Cerruti, Lt. Russell, Lt. Brown and Lt. Hack became the first four US Army officers to be promoted in the Himalayas during Yudh Abhyas Exercise," the US Army, Pacific said in a tweet.
About the Yudh Abhyas:
Yes Bank, Turtlefin Launched Online Insurance Services platform ‘EasyNsure’
TurtleFin, India’s leading insurtech platform, has partnered with YES BANK, one of the leading private sector banks in India, to create a comprehensive technology platform EasyNsure. Turtlefin’s distinctive API will power the platform to offer a bouquet of holistic insurance solutions on a single platform.
EasyNsure is the first-of-its-kind proposition for YES BANK that will bring multiple insurance partners onto a common platform, providing a host of benefits such as a seamless single-point online insurance service, the ability to compare and select a suitable insurance cover basis the customer’s need, as well as a facility to compare costs for rationalizing purchase decisions, among others.
Yes Bank, Turtlefin Launched Online Insurance Services platform ‘EasyNsure’ – Key Points
- Turtlefin’s unique and customized technology solutions will enable the platform to offer a seamless customer experience to its clients.
- The EasyNsure platform is live with over 40 Life and General Insurance plans to be readily available for consideration.
- The platform has created over 30,000 insurance quotes with more than 6,500 proposals and 5,200 policies being punched.
- This has helped the platform generate a total premium of INR 6,050 lakh.
- This robust technology platform will also allow business tracking across the Bank hierarchy, simplifying revenue reconciliation.
- It will enhance tracking the productivity of RMs on quotes created versus actual conversion of leads.