- 01 September 2022
- By GyanOk
Daily Current Affairs Notes for 01 September 2022
National Nutrition Week 2022: 1st to 7th September
In India, the first week of September every year is celebrated as National Nutrition Week. The week is observed every year from September 1-7. The purpose of this week is to raise awareness among the general public about the value of healthy eating practices and proper nutrition for upholding a healthy lifestyle. The government launches programmes to promote nutrition awareness throughout this week.
National Nutrition Week 2022: Theme
- The theme for this year is Celebrate a “World of Flavors”. Every year, as part of National Nutrition Week, the government also introduces a special theme that focuses primarily on that year’s theme. Last year, the government announced this theme for the week – feeding smart right from start.
National Nutrition Week 2022: Significance
- National Nutrition Week is commemorated to educate people about healthy and nutritious food. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Government of India’s Ministry of Women and Child Development organises an annual week-long celebration of National Nutrition Week to inform people about this basic phenomenon. The importance and role of a healthy diet in the human body are emphasised. A balanced diet full of essential nutrients is essential for healthy development and function. The Indian government has started programmes that emphasise good nutrition, wholesome food, and a healthy lifestyle.
National Nutrition Week: History
- The National Nutrition Week was established in 1975 by the members of the American Dietetic Association (ADA), now known as the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This week was set aside to raise awareness among the general public of the value of good nutrition and the need for an active lifestyle. Due to the positive reception from the masses, the celebration of this week in 1980 stretched for a whole month. At that period of time most of the people in India were suffering from the problem of malnutrition. In 1982 National Nutrition Week was first time introduced in India.
Haridwar: Best Aspirational District
NITI Aayog has declared Haridwar city of Uttarakhand as the best aspirational district on the basis of five parameters. Haridwar has secured first position in Basic Infrastructure theme. Now an additional allocation of Rs 3 crore will be made to this city.
Aspirational District Programme
- The programme was launched in January 2018 aims to quickly and effectively transform some of most underdeveloped districts of the country.
- This scheme has been implemented along with the central and state schemes. In its successful implementation, there is important cooperation of the ‘in-charge’ officers of the central, state level and district collectors.
- The competition between these districts is maintained through equated monthly delta rankings, so that they are eager to make it a success.
- The ranking of aspirational districts combines innovative use of data with practical governance, placing the district at the center of inclusive growth.
- As per the norms for planning of aspirational districts, each district should prepare an action plan in consultation with the State and Central officers in charge, after which it should be sent to NITI Aayog for final approval of the Empowered Committee of Secretaries constituted for the programme.
Parameters for Best Aspirational District
It envisages rapid development of selected districts on basis of composite index based on five parameters
- health and nutrition
- financial inclusion and skill development
- agriculture and water resources
- basic infrastructure
Mikhail Gorbachev, The Last Soviet leader Who Ended the Cold War, Dies aged 91
Mikhail Gorbachev, who as the last leader of the Soviet Union waged a losing battle to salvage a crumbling empire but produced extraordinary reforms that led to the end of the Cold War, died. He was 91. The Central Clinical Hospital said in a statement that Gorbachev died after a long illness. No other details were given. Though in power less than seven years, Gorbachev unleashed a breathtaking series of changes. But they quickly overtook him and resulted in the collapse of the authoritarian Soviet state, the freeing of Eastern European nations from Russian domination and the end of decades of East-West nuclear confrontation.
Bloomberg Billionaires Index: Gautam Adani becomes world third richest person
India’s Gautam Adani is now the third richest person in the world. The rankings by Bloomberg Billionaires Index come as business conglomerate Adani Group’s chairman overtakes Louis Vuitton chairman Bernard Arnault. With a total net worth of USD 137.4 billion, 60-year-old Adani is now just behind business magnate Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos in the ranking. This is the first time an Asian person has broken into the top three of the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
New Naval ensign to be unveiled by PM Modi, INS Vikrant to be launched
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will reveal a new ensign of the Indian Navy (New Naval ensign), at the aircraft carrier INS Vikrant Commissioning celebration on September 2. He will formally inaugurate the nation’s first aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant. The Indian Navy will receive a New Naval ensign on September 2 without the Saint George’s cross that has been on its flag since the British placed it during the pre-independence era. The cross sign was removed from the flag between 2001 and 2004 while Atal Bihari Vajpayee was in office, but it was reinstated once the UPA led by Manmohan Singh took back power.
New Naval ensign:
- “PM Modi will also present the New Naval ensign (Nishaan), doing away with the colonial history and fitting for the rich Indian maritime legacy”, according to a statement released by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
- The Indian Navy will receive a New Naval ensign on September 2 without the Saint George’s cross that has been on its flag since the British placed it during the pre-independence era.
- The cross sign was taken off the flag between 2001 and 2004 under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee administration, but it was put back on after the Sonia Gandhi-led UPA regained power.
- The government noted several objections made by then-Navy authorities over the insignia (New Naval ensign).
New Naval ensign: Historic Importance
- The Cholas and later the Marathas were among the historic Indian navies, according to the Navy officials, who stated that there was also a suggestion to include a sign from their era.
- President Droupadi Murmu, who serves as the Supreme Commander of the armed forces, would grant her final permission after Prime Minister Narendra Modi. On September 1 and 2, the prime minister will travel to Kerala and Karnataka.
- The hallowed birthplace of Adi Shankaracharya, Sri Adi Shankara Janma Bhoomi Kshetram, will be visited by PM Modi on September 1. He will inaugurate the nation’s first aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, on September 2 at Kochi’s Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- The Prime Minister will then inaugurate and lay the cornerstone for projects worth roughly 3,800 crores at Mangaluru, Karnataka, at 1:30 PM.